Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Quick Look: Psalm 106:1-4

Let's go quickly through the first 4 verses of Psalm 106 (TM).

  • "...my heart is steadfast..." - I take this to be a pledge, and sort of like the single eye that I've posted about before. I think it's worth thinking about here.

    • I tell the Lord that I'm bringing my focus to bear on Him

    • It might even be true. I certainly better believe it to be true, but honestly, sometimes we don't get it done.
    • It's an entirely good thing to make these confessions of intent to the Lord.

  • "...I will sing and give praise..." - more intentions - this is goal setting on a spiritual level...
    • When you are at this level of tenderness toward God, these kinds of declarations are entirely normal
    • I think this speaks toward our being made 1) in His image, and 2) with an urge to return to Him, that ignites really only (TM) when the Holy Spirit is calling us...
  • "...even with my glory..." - this is a curious turn of phrase - NIV says "...with all my soul..."
  • "...Awake, lute and harp! I will awaken the dawn..." - I take this as more joyful exuberance
    • It's hyperbole, and that's okay. God can handle it.
    • It shows that certain willingness that demonstrates the fact that walls are down, and we are radically open to the Lord.
  • "...I will praise You, O LORD, among the peoples. And I will sing praises to You among the nations..." - here we're not ashamed (TM) of the Lord, or of sharing about what He's done for me...
  • "...For Your mercy is great above the heavens, and Your truth reaches to the clouds..." - both the mercy and the truth of the Lord are all encompassing



Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: