Tuesday, January 26, 2010

New Book! Karen Spears Zacharias' Will Jesus Buy Me a Double-Wide?

New Zondervan book by Burnside Writers Collective regular Karen Zacharias. It's called Will Jesus Buy Me a Double-Wide? ('Cause I Need More Room for My Plasma TV) and I can hardly wait.

I read the foreword by Steve Brown and in it he says 1) "I have no idea why Karen asked me to write a foreword to this book," and 2) "...while reading this book ... [I] winced. Wincing is good if God is in the wincing."

In a second foreword, fellow-Burnside-colleague Susan Isaacs says, "No, you're not alone in your nagging suspicion that God's kind of wonderful is something more weighty and difficult than mastering a prayer or a key to success; and that it's more often found among the least of these."

Yup, Karen's book is something of a riff on prosperity doctrine. And, if the part I've read so far is any indication, it's really funny as well.

Next post, I'll deal with Karen's Introduction, which, unlike many books, proved an excellent starting place.

No comments: